Friday, January 3, 2014

2014 Monthly Challenges

The year of 2014 is going to be another good one! So I am making mini goals each month and after I complete them, I will give an update. They are subject to change, in case any surprises come a long.
I stopped with the resolutions a few years ago because they are pointless to me. I stop focusing after a month or few weeks. In 2010 I made the goal cutting out fast food, to this day I rarely eat fast food. When I do, it's a treat to myself. In 2011 I made the goal of flossing everyday. I floss more than the average person and it helps, no dental problems for me! 2012 I skipped a goal completely and 2013 I reached my goal of getting a respectful and challenging job. 2014 is the year of monthly mini-goals (if I actually do them all, I will be impressed)!

January- No soda, beat the bat wings and lose the pouch Month! I will cut out soda this month and start out with 12 push ups and 60 abs crunches every night, adding on as I go. No excuses, even if I am sick I will complete this every night, on top of my usual 2-3 weekly workout/runs. I need to lose what I gained over the Holidays!

January Update: It's only the 17th and my arms feel tighter, up to 20 regular push ups and 20 knee push ups daily :o)
It's the last day of the month and I am soda free and almost batwing free. I will continue to be soda free for the rest of the year. I am so happy with the results of doing push ups and ab work every night! I am up to 25 regular push ups and 20-25 knee push ups nightly. I am going to continue this challenge well into the year, maybe I will pass my high school record of 52 perfect push ups in a row. Haha...maybe not but I can dream! This was a fun experiment and it took some discipline but I did it. It was a fantastic idea! The only issue I see is that by December I may be doing every month's challenge because I won't want to give it up because of the awesome results! :P

February- The month of 8,000 Steps. Yes I will be wearing a pedometer everyday for 28 days! Even if I have to get the steps in while watching TV or reading, it will be done! This was my original goal and it's not happening. Not only can I not find my pedometer and I don't want to buy another, it's freaking cold outside! So this month's goal is changed. I must run, either outside or on the treadmill, at least 8 miles a week. I usually average about 4-6 a week, so I will up my miles and hopefully get in a 10 mile week before the months end.

February Update Week one= 7.4 miles, not too bad considering I hate treadmills and it's an ice box outside. Week two I did 5.8 but I had a big set back. Came down with some kind of throat infection that wiped me of all energy and gave me a fever of 101 for a few days. So I am extending February goal through March. The first week of March I will lose a week of running since I will be in Wyoming but will make that up in snowboarding and snow shoeing.

March-My month of Zen! I must do yoga at least 10 minutes a day and run at least 8 miles per week.

March Update- So here is my honest update! Yoga kind of went out the window. Besides stretching for 10 min before every run, I maybe did Yoga 3 times for 40 minutes. On a good note, I achieved my goal of running at least 8 miles a week! This is where I have been seeing the results! I have lost about 10 lbs and now favorite pants that would hug my hips and legs are falling off me! It's bitter sweet because I love those pants, they made me feel skinny when nothing else did! I bought a new pair of size 6 jeans 2 weeks ago, too big for me now! BTW, I don't drink soda at all anymore. The cravings are gone and when I did have a small bit of coke few weeks back, it tasted bad. So I feel like I am on a good road for bikini season this year! Every year it's always the same regret, "I wish I started working out in winter", this year the challenge will be to continue this routine and add on more miles at a faster pace.

April- New Recipe Month! I will try 2 new recipes a week during this month and back to no soda, just because it's the healthy thing to do! I will make a Pinterest Board with the recipes I plan on trying.

May-Summer Ab, Arm and Butt prep! 70-100 crunches, 1 min planks, 20-30 push ups, 20 dips everyday and 100 squats! Adding more on as I go....of course!

June-Dance till I drop. Dancing is proven to make people happier and the month of June is the most stressful and busiest month in my work place so for each day of this month I will dance to one song all the way through, even if people think I am crazy. I have a feeling that sometimes it will be more than 1 song, since dancing is so addictive!

July- Journals of July. Everyday I will write in my journal, EVERYDAY (even if it's just a sentence or two). I have done such a good job of keeping a journal throughout my life but the last few years I have only been writing in it every 2-3 months or so.

August- Make someone else feel good Month. Everyday I must smile at a stranger, give someone a sincere compliment and do some kind of good deed for someone else, not myself. Also leg month. I will do 20 lunges on each side and 50 squats nightly.

September- Go vegetarian! Just kidding, I could never do that to myself. This month is all about going on a nightly walk.

October- The Art of October. I must create 2 different kinds of art work each week. This could include going to the beach to paint the sunset, melting crayons, sculpting from mud, it doesn't matter but each work of art must be created using a different kind of medium. October is prime art shed season, not too cold and not to hot.

November- I need a good goal for this month...it's in the works.

December- Prevention Month. I will not let the Holiday pouch sneak up on me this year! 60 crunches, 15-25 push ups every night...should I add in 10,000 daily steps? I have 11 months to think about it!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! 2014!




3 comments:

Stephanie Scales-Sherrin said...

Love it! How is it going?

Stephanie Scales-Sherrin said...

You should let me come up with some challenges for you.

Jenn Walker said...

It's going good! Hoping to see some results soon but still doing it :o) You can think of one for November? I am scared...lol