Monday, August 3, 2015

2015 Summer Reading List

Well after years of trying it has finally happened! I am pregnant, 27 weeks along and doing fantastic! No I am not being sarcastic, I really feel great (most days). As I drift into the third trimester things are becoming a bit more difficult. I guess what they say about carrying a boy is true, all belly, no sickness, great skin & hair, etc. So this means I need to read as many books as possible because from what I hear, I won't have the time for another 5 years or so!?!? Let me just say I will find a way, somehow, because I love escaping my world and going into a different one. I have a list a books below that I want to finish by the time baby boy arrives around 11.5.15. I will give each book a grade and a short review, I have tried to be as brief as possible so I don't spoil any books!

BOOK LIST 2015:


Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Grade: A+
Review: For months all I heard was, "Oh, you have to read this book!". So I did and I am glad I did! The main character is not your average main character, she makes a lot of mistakes and does a lot of stupid things. The plot keeps you guessing but provides great insight to the character and why she makes certain decisions. I like how the book jumps back and fourth between characters. This book is mysterious and a great psychological thriller! It will capture your mind until the end.

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
Grade: A+
Review:This is my first Stephen King read and now it seems silly to have been intimidated by his books for so long. This was an easy read. Although it has some highly disturbing aspects. This book allows you into the mind of a killer and a retired cop who is trying to catch him. There are a lot of twists and turns! Perfect cat and mouse type book. Very suspenseful!

We Were Lairs by E. Lockhart
Grade: A
Review: This book started out a bit slow but it has reasons why it does, so pay attention! The ending is something that caught me off guard and I cried over this book for a good hour after I finished reading it! It is books like these that I seek more of. The main character is a member of a wealthy privileged family who owns their own private island close to Martha's Vineyard. Then an accident happens, fueled by greed and carelessness, many are effected and the main character doesn't remember what happens, until the end.

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
Grade: A+
Review: Set in France during WWII, this book jumps between the lives of two very different sisters. This book is about love, resistance against the Nazi's, life during the war in France and forgiveness. This book will make you cry and cheer! As it is a great reminder how many lives were effected by this war and the little things that were done that may have never been noticed. Excellent and suspenseful read! Highly recommended if you want a book that will suck you in completely.

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Grade: B-
Review: This book was a bit on the high school side but it was good and I finished it so that says something. It has a very creative plot and is different from any book I have ever read. It reminds you how your actions can effect other people whether you realize it or not. This book is heart braking in a way that is very real. This book is about teenage suicide.

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
Grade: C-
Review: I was intrigued by the reviews of this book, being compared to Gone Girl. The beginning captured me and was interesting and suspenseful. I was waiting for something major to happen, it is what the book sets you up for. By the time it happened I figured it out and the ending was not my favorite. I was disappointed. Maybe someone else would like this book better than I did but it's the first book on my reading list that didn't satisfy my reading needs! Maybe I expected it to be more like Gone Girl and that is a hard book to live up to

The Book of You by Claire Kendal
Grade: B+
Review: Imagine having a stalker who is there watching you all the time, never getting a break or a peace of mind, constantly being on guard. This book was disturbing in a lot of ways so naturally I really liked it. It does have some kinky aspects to it but I really enjoyed this read. It was very suspenseful and ended differently than I imagined it would but left me satisfied with the ending.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Grade: D
Review: This book slowed down my reading because it is so descriptive and a bit difficult to read. The characters are all so deep and different. If you don't know much about War World II then you wouldn't understand some aspects to this book. I can't say that is was super exciting and I have mixed feelings about it. However, it is interesting reading about a blind child and a Nazi youth during this time period. If you enjoy deeply descripted books then read this, however if you like simple quick reads you might want to skip it. Overall, I was not impressed. I am guilty to admit that I called it quits on the last 70 pages because the book was going nowhere and it was dragging on and on and on......
I kept thinking I want to finish at least another 3 books before this baby comes!! This is the first WWII book that did not completely suck me in.

Follow You Home by Mark Edwards
Grade: A
Review: Where do I begin with this one? This has many twists and turns! It is creepy and suspenseful! I was even scared at one point I had to stop because I was alone at night and my imagination was running away from me! This takes place in Romania and England. Romania giving off a very creepy setting. This books is mainly in the main character Daniel's point of view, jumping from a few other characters insight as needed to explain certain parts of the story and how everything came together. This was an easy read, easy to follow but kept you guessing. It is disturbing so be warned.


CURRENTLY READING:
The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain
Grade: A
Review: What would you do if you found out your whole life has been a lie? That's what Riley had to face when her Father suddenly died and she was left to go through his things. Great mystery and kept you guessing. Excellent book!


BELOW ARE THE BOOKS I STILL HAVE LEFT TO READ. I will update them as I read them.

The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer
Far From You by Tess Sharpe
Miracle Man by William R Leibowitz

The Baby Whisperer
What to Expect When You Are Expecting



You can also find my Book list on Pinterest:

No comments: